Trippers and askers surround me,
行人和提问者围绕着我,
People I meet, the effect upon me of my early life or the ward and city I live in, or the nation,
我遇到的人,我早年生活或我居住的街区和城市,或者国家对我的影响,
The latest dates, discoveries, inventions, societies, authors old and new,
最新的日期、发现、发明、社团、新老作家,
My dinner, dress, associates, looks, compliments, dues,
我的晚餐、衣着、伙伴、外貌、恭维、债务,
The real or fancied indifference of some man or woman I love,
某个我所爱的男人或女人真实或想象中的冷漠,
The sickness of one of my folks or of myself, or ill-doing or loss or lack of money, or depressions or exaltations,
我家人的病痛或是我自己的,或是恶行、损失、缺钱、沮丧或兴奋,
They come to me days and nights and go from me again,
它们日夜向我袭来,又再次离我而去,
But they are not the Me myself.
但它们并不是真正的我自己。
Apart from the pulling and hauling stands what I am,
在拉扯与拖拽之外,站立着真实的我,
Stands amused, complacent, compassionating, idle, unitary,
站着,愉悦、自满、怜悯、闲适、统一,
Looks down, is erect, or bends an arm on an impalpable certain rest,
俯视,挺立,或将手臂倚靠在某种无形的确切支撑上,
Looking with side-curved head curious what will come next,
侧头好奇地注视,看接下来会发生什么,
Both in and out of the game and watching and wondering at it.
既在游戏中又置身事外,并观察和思考着它。
Backward I see in my own days where I sweated through fog with linguists and contenders,
回望我自己的日子,我曾与语言学家和竞争者们在迷雾中挥汗如雨,
I have no mockings or arguments, I witness and wait.
我没有嘲笑或争论,我只是见证并等待。