Let man’s soul be a sphere, and then, in this,
讓人的靈魂成為一個球體,然後,在其中,
The intelligence that moves, devotion is;
那移動的智慧,便是奉獻;
And as the other spheres, by being grown,
正如其他球體,因成長而,
Subject to foreign motion, lose their own,
受制於外來運動,失去了自己的運動,
And being by others hurried every way,
被他人催促到各處,
Scarce in a year their natural form obey;
一年中幾乎無法遵循其自然形態;
Pleasure or business, so, our souls admit
享樂或事務,因此,我們的靈魂承認
For their first mover, and are whirl’d by it.
它們的第一推動者,並被它旋轉。
Hence is’t, that I am carried towards the west,
因此,我被帶向西方,
This day, when my soul’s form bends toward the east.
在這一天,當我的靈魂形態傾向東方。
There I should see a Sun, by rising set,
在那裡,我應該看到太陽,升起後落下,
And by that setting endless day beget;
並通過那落下產生無盡的日子;
But that Christ on this Cross did rise and fall,
但基督在這十字架上上升又落下,
Sin had eternally benighted all.
罪孽本會永遠使一切陷入黑暗。
Yet dare I almost be glad, I do not see
然而,我幾乎敢高興,我看不見
That spectacle of too much weight for me.
那個對我來說過於沉重的景象。
Who sees God’s face, that is self-life, must die;
誰看見上帝的臉,即是自生命,必死;
What a death were it then to see God die?
那麼看到上帝死去將是何等的死亡?
It made his own lieutenant, Nature, shrink,
它使祂自己的副手,大自然,退縮,
It made his footstool crack, and the sun wink.
使祂的腳凳破裂,太陽眨眼。
Could I behold those hands, which span the poles
我能目睹那些橫跨兩極的手嗎
And tune all spheres at once, pierced with those holes?
同時調諧所有球體,卻被那些孔洞刺穿?
Could I behold that endlesse worthiest day,
我能目睹那無盡的、最有價值的日子嗎,
Whose light makes all things new, but love decay?
它的光使萬物更新,卻使愛衰敗?
Could I behold those infinite vast treasures,
我能目睹那些無限廣大的財寶嗎,
Which from His wounds stream forth like liquid pearls?
從祂的傷口湧出如液態珍珠般?
O Socrates and Phaedon, could I choose
哦,蘇格拉底和斐多,我能選擇嗎
To have seen what they saw, and yet refuse?
看到他們所見,卻拒絕?
Could I stand up, and with a constant eye
我能站起來,用堅定的目光
Behold the whole act of that tragedy?
目睹那場悲劇的整個過程嗎?
I would not hear thy lamentable cries,
我不想聽到你可悲的哭聲,
Nor see thy weeping sisters’ obsequies.
也不想看到你哭泣姐妹的葬禮。
Thou art my heaven, O Lord; and I fly hence,
你是我的天堂,主啊;我從此飛離,
Not to escape thy wrath, but to prevent
不是為了逃避你的憤怒,而是為了預防
Myself from drowning in thy love immense.
自己沉溺在你浩瀚的愛中。
Therefore I look not forward, but behind,
因此我不向前看,而是向後,
And backward ride, with my face to the wind.
逆風騎行,面朝風向。
Yet turning oft my head, to see the way
然而時常轉頭,看看來時的路
By which I came, I find it leads astray.
我發現它引向歧途。
So ride I, with my body turned awry,
所以我這樣騎著,身體歪斜,
Till thou restore both me and all things nigh.
直到你恢復我和周圍的一切。