Would that the structure brave, the manifold music I build,
但願那勇敢的建築,那繁複的音樂我建造,
Bidding my organ obey, calling its keys to their work,
命令我的管風琴服從,呼喚它的鍵盤開始工作,
Claiming each slave of the sound, at a touch, as when Solomon willed
聲稱每個聲音的奴隸,一觸即發,就像所羅門所願
Armies of angels that soar, legions of demons that lurk,
翱翔的天使軍團,潛伏的惡魔軍隊,
Man, brute, reptile, fly,—alien of end and of aim,
人、獸、爬蟲、飛蟲,——目標與目的各異,
Adverse, each from the other heaven-high, hell-deep removed,—
相對立,彼此間如天高地遠,深淵隔絕,——
Should rush into sight at once as he named the ineffable Name,
應當在他呼喚那不可言說之名時,立即湧現眼前,
And pile him a palace straight, to pleasure the princess he loved!
並迅速為他堆砌一座宮殿,以取悅他所愛的公主!
Would it might tarry like his, the beautiful building of mine,
但願我的美麗建築能像他的那樣長存,
This which my keys in a crowd pressed and importuned to raise!
這些我的琴鍵在眾人的催促下努力升起的建築!
Ah, one and all, how they helped, would dispart now, or combine;
啊,所有人,他們如何幫助,現在或分開,或結合;
Zealous to hasten the work, heighten their master his praise!
熱心地加快工作,提升他們主人的讚美!
And one and all, they're gone; yet build I my mansion the same.
而所有人,他們都離去了;但我仍繼續建造我的宅邸。
For I was born to build, and to build evermore I must:
因為我生來就是為了建造,並且必須永遠建造:
Yea, though no stone be left, nor a timber remain of my frame,
是的,即使沒有石頭留下,也沒有木材留在我框架中,
Still on the site of my dream rises the structure sublime.
在我的夢想之地,崇高建築依然升起。
Nay, all that I dreamed is false; there's no such thing as a sphere
不,我所有的夢想都是虛假的;沒有純粹快樂或痛苦的領域
Perfected solely for joy, perfected solely for pain.
專為喜悅而完美,專為痛苦而完美。
All's inextricably mixed: whoever shall smile must weep,
一切都是糾纏不清的:誰微笑就必須哭泣,
Whoever will laugh must groan—laughing again through his tears.
誰笑就必須呻吟——再次透過眼淚笑。
Build then, thou architect! Image the invisible whole,
那麼,建造吧,你這建築師!描繪出看不見的整體,
Thou canst not wipe out one line, cancel one little part;
你無法抹去一條線,取消一小部分;
The least curve traced by thy hand still helps to make up the soul,
你手中畫出的最微小曲線仍然有助於構成靈魂,
The true eternal design, whereof thy work forms a part.
真正的永恆設計,你的作品只是其中一部分。
Thus I, who to-day am past even the first of my years,
因此我,今天已經超過了我的初年,
With never a whit of my work finished, only begun,
從未有一絲一毫的工作完成,只有開始,
As some half-wrought symphony, tossed to the howling of spheres,
如同某些半成品交響樂,被拋向天際的咆哮,
Must leave what I cannot complete, trusting God for the rest:
必須放下我無法完成的事,相信上帝會完成其餘:
So let my song stand incomplete, so let my life be unpraised,
所以讓我的歌保持未完成,讓我的生命不受讚揚,
Only Thy love, O God, measure the whole of my days!
唯有祢的愛,哦上帝,衡量我的一生!