Ah, are you digging on my grave,
啊,你是在我的墳墓上挖掘嗎,
My loved one?—planting rue?“
我親愛的人?種植芸香?
— “No: yesterday he went to wed
「不:昨天他去結婚了
One of the brightest wealth has bred.
和一個最富有家庭中最光彩照人的女子。
'It cannot hurt her now,' he said,
『現在這不會傷害到她了,』他說,
'That I should not be true.'“
『我不應該再忠於她。』
“Then who is digging on my grave?
「那麼誰在我的墳墓上挖掘?
My nearest dearest kin?“
是我最近的親人嗎?
— “Ah, no: they sit and think, 'What use!
「啊,不:他們坐著想,『有什麼用!
What good will planting flowers produce?
種花能帶來什麼好處?
No tendance of her mound can loose
照料她的墳塚也無法解開
Her spirit from Death's gin.'“
她的靈魂從死亡的陷阱中。」
“Then who is digging on my grave?
「那麼誰在我的墳墓上挖掘?
Some merry friends, I should have thought,—
應該是些快樂的朋友吧,我本以為,
They might have dropped a cypress sprig
他們可能隨手扔下了一枝柏樹
Or two upon my bosom's rig
或兩枝在我胸前的土堆上
Out of their random merriment;
出於他們隨意的歡樂;
But none of them has sought.“
但他們沒有一個人來過。」
“Then who is digging on my grave?
「那麼誰在我的墳墓上挖掘?
Some wistful little child
某個渴望的小孩
Who never cared for me in life,
生前從未關心過我,
And whom I would not have as wife
我也不會要他長大後
When he grew up and chose a mate?
選擇我作為他的伴侶?
It cannot be that child!“
不可能是那個孩子!
“Then who is digging on my grave?
「那麼誰在我的墳墓上挖掘?
A stranger?—'Tis most kind!
陌生人嗎?真是非常仁慈!
He must be one who pities me,
他一定是同情我的人,
And thinks it sad that men should see
認為人們看到
My resting-place so bare to be
我的安息之地如此荒蕪
Of any flower-stalks lined.“
連一枝花莖都沒有是令人難過的。」
“No: none of those dig on your grave;
「不:那些人都沒有在你的墳墓上挖;
Your little dog, come here to-day,
你的小狗,今天來到這裡,
Scratches and sniffs, and digs, poor pet,
抓撓、嗅聞、挖掘,可憐的小東西,
To find if still you linger yet,
想要知道你是否還徘徊在此,
And under earth his bone may get
或許在地下能找到
In some forgotten way.“
他遺忘的骨頭。」